National Girls and Women in Sports Day Celebration
FEELING GOOD: Celebrating National Girls & Women in Sports Day through a Wall of Song
Thursday, February 18, 2021
7 – 8:30 p.m. PST
View Event Recording
View Full Ledisi Interview
Join the San José Museum of Art, San Jose Jazz, the Institute for the Study of Sport, Society & Social Change (ISSSSC), and the Wall of Song Project as we explore the power of art, sport and the rituals of collective singing to create positive social change.
In celebration of National Girls and Women in Sports Day (NGWSD), this online, multidisciplinary event will feature an interview with Grammy-nominated jazz powerhouse Ledisi, a solo by special guest soprano Danielle Marie and Dr. Akilah Carter-Francique, PhD (ISSSSC) hosting a Sport Conversation for Change, focusing on the importance of NGWSD to “inspire girls and women to play … and realize their full power.” Everyone is invited to add their voices to the Wall of Song Project by singing FEELING GOOD—the song made famous by Nina Simone—as a call-to-action, an anthem of solidarity, mental and physical wellbeing for all, and advocacy for women’s athletics and a more equitable, racially just community.
- Mel Day–Lecturer AY-B, Art and Art History, San José State University
- Dr. Amy August–Assistant Director for the Institute for the Study of Sport, Society and Social Change, San José State University
- Bonnie Sugiyama–Director PRIDE & Gender Equity Center, San José State University
- Dr. Tamar Semerjian–Chair & Professor Department of Kinesiology, Faculty Athletics Representative, San José State University
- Dr. Jalylah Burrell–Assistant Professor in the Department of African American Studies, San José State University